Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

Jill's big adventure (photos now fixed)

My sister is a brave one. She's made some choices in her life that scare me, but that also inspire me. A few years ago, she went on a mission trip to Guatemala. She worked in an orphanage, helping to renovate the place, playing with the kids, and making them feel special. My family was wary of her going, but she was determined, she went, and it was a great experience.

Jill with Pinocchio

She just completed her Masters coursework in social work, and she's decided that her next adventure will be with the Peace Corps. She leaves next month, and she'll be living in Kazakhstan for two years.

While my family and I will miss her terribly, this is going to be an amazing experience for her. I don't expect her to return unchanged, and I know this will challenge her in ways we can't foresee.

Jill, my grandparents and mom at her college graduation

I'm rather envious of this choice she's made. Only in the broadest sense, and I think that's a human reaction. Mostly, I'm honored to be her sister, and lucky she's part of my world.

Dad, Jill and I at her college graduation

A few more of my favorite Jiller pictures, because I can:

On the farm

A favorite of mom and Jill

Hilarity

Sisters

2 comments:

  1. That last picture of the two of you is gorgeous! What Jill's doing is so exciting. I really hope she has an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my employees has a sister doing close to the same thing in the same place. I believe she's been over there for quite a while and it's been a great experience for her. I wish Jill the best!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails