Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

FO: Wonky Bee Quilt

FO: Wonky Bee Quilt

I'm so pleased with my Wonky Bee quilt. The coolest part is that five other crafters contributed to it. Now, it's this fun collaborative quilt that I get to enjoy in my home. Each time I look it, I can remember the process, and the people behind it. Sara really deserves the biggest thanks, since she came up with the Wonky Bee group over on flickr. She, along with Carrie, Melissa, Nicke, and Jessica, are all part of this finished quilt.
They each sent me two spiral log cabin blocks, based on the amazing Julie Frick creation found here, which is the ultimate inspiration behind this quilt.
To make this type of block, you use the same process as a log cabin, but you start with a five-sided piece of fabric in the middle, rather than a square.

I sent a bundle of fabric strips to each member, which consisted mostly of the Moda Sugar Pop line, as well as some coordinating prints and solids (Kona Tangerine, Kona Eggplant, Hope Valley Canyon Stripe in Fiesta, Mendocino orange Kelp Forest, etc.).

FO: Wonky Bee Quilt

I decided not to sash the blocks, and I really like to craziness going on here. I used two borders to give the quilt a better size.

Selvage block

For the back, I took some inspiration from my good friend Jules, and made a selvage block. The back makes me very happy.

The back

Again, I give heartfelt thanks to my fellow bee members!

FO: Wonky Bee Quilt

You can read previous entries about the Wonky Bee Quilt here and here.

15 comments:

  1. Oh it's fantastic! Love the wonkiness, love the kona tangerine, and LOVE the back, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! And I'm finally caught up, too! I think you had seven new posts by the time I made it to the computer.

    This was such a nice treat reading through what you've been up to these past couple of weeks. The FOs are stunning and I can't get over how cute those two kittens are. Of course, I have a bit of a thing for orange kitties (just don't tell Nayyir - as far as he's concerned, he's the only one on the planet).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see it done! Love it. I've always had a thing for pieced backs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's so gorgeous! i will have to try a selvedge block myself some day. thanks for the inspiration and i'm so glad your quilt turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful!! You did such an incredible job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an awesome quilt! I love the colors and all the crazy blocks, and your quilting is absolutely perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is so beautiful! i love how it turned out. it is fun to see the blocks i made in it. i am excited to see what mine looks like. i guess i better decide on what i want for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out awesome! I feel proud to have contributed parts to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is SO AWESOME! Good job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonky is beautiful! Yay to the wonky group! What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those are some sexy legs!:) someone must really love you to hold that quilt up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had to comment on this directly...I was wondering how all those blocks were going to fit together and wow...I'm impressed. It's an amazing quilt...and so cool the number of hands involved in making it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails