Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

FO: Rain or Shine

I've learned a few things about my quilty personality. For instance? I'm not a sasher. When a quilt calls for sashing, I'm most likely to skip it. Don't get me wrong. I think a sashed quilt can look really lovely. I'm just not likely to finish it if there is sashing involved. Back in May of 2011, I started these blocks, from Elizabeth Hartman's first book. The pattern is Rain or Shine.

I chose happy prints in red, aqua, black and white.

But here's where I stalled out. I sashed the first row with this lovely aqua solid, and then, nothing. Two years of hibernation. After talking with Jeni when she visited last fall, she encouraged me to eliminate the sashing and stick with what works for me.

And so I did. No sashing. A smaller quilt, but I love it.

I used two favorites for the back (Lizzy House Jewels and Alison Glass Party Streamers). This is a wee baby quilt at 36" square.

12 comments:

  1. I am exactly the same. SO do not care to do sashing. And I almost always prefer the look without when given the choice. Love your quilt w/o sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this :-) I think it looks great without the sashing. Is it paper pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt looks lovely! Congrats on the finish, and on knowing your quilt personality and making this pattern work for your style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's lovely and i adore that dense loopy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like sashing if it matches the background fabric of the blocks, but I am usually sooo over it by the time I get to that point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is beautiful! I love that you finished it the way that you like! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And without the sashing your points match up. Would be almost a waste to sash =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that I like it better without the sashing, it is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous finish!! I totally think it depends on my feelings when I get to the sashing part. I don't mind it if it makes sense, but you are right sometimes without it just works better!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails