Pages

Friday, July 24, 2015

Stash Fabrics: Kona Solids Wonky Crosses

Kona Wonky Crosses quilt top

Three years ago, I met Beth, of Stash Fabrics. At that time, her business was just beginning, and she has built a very busy shop (with the same excellent customer service) and great selection. I love that she still offers free shipping for orders over $50. I also love that she now carries every Kona solid available. As in, all 303 colors that Robert Kaufman produces! Beth asked me to create a bundle of favorite colors, and I'll be honest. It was difficult to choose. After much debate, I chose a summery palette (available here for purchase):

Kona Wonky Crosses palette

Probably most shocking, the bundle is void of yellow. I really love the palette, regardless!

Kona Wonky Crosses palette

I cut each fat quarter into 5.5" squares and 1.5" strips and proceeded to make wonky cross blocks.

Kona Wonky Crosses WIP

These are fairly simple blocks, but the trick is to pin or glue and check your intersections!

I debated a more random layout, but I really like the color play that is created by the groups of nine blocks.

I had to supplement my fat quarter bundle with just a few extra strips (I had some similar colors in my stash). You could also add in a few neutral strips or other scraps, if you like!

The blocks finish at 5.5" (I trimmed each block down after piecing), so this little quilt top finishes at 45" x 60".

Kona Wonky Crosses quilt top

I am hoping to add a little hand quilting to the crosses!

I hope you will check out the other tour stops over the next month! And you can see a preview of all the created bundles here (already available for purchase)! Oh, and Beth is also starting a Kona monthly club, in case you need to build your solid stash, one color at a time!

July 17 – Darcy @ Modern Cozy
July 23 – Jacey @ Jacey Craft
July 27 - Kelly @ Kelby Sews
July 30 – Nancy @ Owen’s Olivia
August 6th – Jodi @ Tales of Cloth
August 10th – Megan @ City Stitches
August 12th – Rita @ Red Pepper Quilts
August 17th – Elizabeth @ Andpins Handmade
August 19th – Tara @ Rad and Happy
August 21st – Sharon @ Color Girl Quilts
August 24th – Allison @ Allison Sews
August 27th – Kristi @ Schnitzel and Boo
August 31st - Jessee @ Art School Dropout

8 comments:

  1. Hard to believe it's been three years!?! But thank you for participating in this friend! Your quilt is amazing, as are you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just delightful and SO summery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've become quite passionate about pluses/crosses. Yours is fabulous! Positively juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this quilt. The colours just sing and I think your design shows them off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt. I love it. I'm such a big fan of solids and this is a great use of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great color choices! I'm usually drawn to bright, but cool jewel type colors, especially green (lime), blue (aqua), various purples, and a bit of magenta. (sjn821)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt! I love the colors! I made a wonky cross quilt recently, jewel-tone prints on white, to hand over the bed. So fun to piece! And I love your little helpers, I have feline helpers, too :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails